Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Hunting Trip I Will Never Forget!



I went hunting with my Dad and some of his buddy's a couple of weeks ago.  We went up to Featherville  with the horses and the dirt bike's.  We were on a mission to kill some deer.  I went out a ridge on my dirt bike with Brandon(brother in law, in photo to right)  and my dad was going to ride the horse's up the canyon below us.  Perfect plan because about 5 min. into the hunt i was able to knock down a nice little 4 point.  I started to try and get my dad on the radio to come get my deer with horses when i could not hear my dad but another guy talking to my dad saying that my father had broken his leg and needed help ASAP.  I took off on my bike to go to my dad and when i got there he was starting to get really cold and was in a lot I mean a lot of pain with a broken leg, dislocated ankle and bone was even out through his skin.  We had called life flight and search and rescue, with both in route towards us all we could do for my Dad is try to keep him from going into shock by making him pain free as possible and keeping him warm.  We built 2 fires on either side of him and took off all our clothes and covered him with those as wells as a sleeping bag.  As we did all this it was snowing and so the Bird(helicopter) could not land and search and rescue/ambulance could not get to us for a long time.  My dad layed there with a broken leg for 7 hours with no drugs and in the cold snowing weather before we were able to pack him out with a stocks stretcher half a mile then four wheeler 2 miles then ambulance 4 miles then helicopter off the mountain.  He got a spot light on the news and 10 screws and 1 plate out of the whole ordeal.  It was a crazy trip and I'm just glad my daddy is going to have a full recovery.  Be careful out in the mountains and always go with someone.  Safe hunting this season!


Fish

1 comment:

Pa Fish said...

Although it ended up miserably, I still had a great time being with my sons. Thanks for taking good care of me. I love you son! Be good and ski fast!